Want to find out about editing translations? This interview with the National Centre for Writing in Norwich covers the essentials:
- We offer specialist Francophone translation & editing services to authors, creatives and the book trade;
- Having someone who can read and understand the naunces of written French is essential to be able to choose a good translator. To find the best professional for the job (translating into their mother tongue) requires experience and having the right contacts;
- Trade publishers and authors can join forces with translators via BookBlast to create books from French into English and from English into French (confirmation of ownership of the translation rights is a prerequisite).
MacLehose Press (Hachette UK), Rider (Penguin Random House), Virago (Hachette), Quartet Books, La Table Ronde, éditions Gallimard, éditions L'Iconoclaste, Stellar Group (Liverpool), Granta Books, Serpent's Tail, Granta, PEN Translates!, Harvill Secker, Serpent’s Tail, Eland Publishing.
French-to-English translation, troubleshooting “stuck” projects, copy editing, translation quality assessment, query letter review, reader's reports for publishers, rewriting, ghostwriting, mentoring & consultancy, writing & editing content.
English (UK), French.
Wellbeing & How-To, Biographies & Memoirs, Cooking, General Non-Fiction, True Crime, Religion & Spirituality.
Literary Fiction, Historical Fiction, Historical Romance, Crime, Women's Fiction.
Associate Publisher, MacLehose Press — "We are very happy with the work you have done on Tropic of Violence."
Boyd Tonkin, Independent — “Louis Saha is now published in English thanks to a flavourful, idiomatic translation by Georgia de Chamberet … Packed with frankness, insight and self-knowledge … The book shines with candour, modesty and intelligence."
Foreign rights and Acquisitions, Les Arènes — "Your translation work is perfect and your rates are compatible with those of other British translators. Your work is impeccable!"
Grasset & Fasquelle, Paris — "The text which you edited for us is perfect. You've done a great job and can be proud of yourself."
Jane Shilling, Daily Telegraph — "On the Wilder Shores of Love: A Bohemian Life is edited with affection and grace by de Chamberet [. . .] a deliciously readable monument to a writer who combined a steely resilience and capacity for hard work with an elegant frivolity and a voracious appetite for love, beauty and adventure."
Translation (Georgia de Chamberet)
- A Restless Man: Portrait of an Artist, a Son, a Madman by Gérard Garouste with Judith Perrignon (Les Arènes);
- A Call for Revolution by The Dalai Lama & Sofia Stril-Rever (Rider, Penguin Random House Group);
- Thinking Inside the Box by Louis Saha (Vision Sports).
Francophone Copy Editing
- Tropic of Violence by Nathacha Appanah translated by Geoffrey Strachan (MacLehose Press, Quercus, Hachette UK);
- The First Man by Xavier-Marie Bonnot translated by Justin Phipps (MacLehose Press, Quercus, Hachette UK);
- The Voice of the Spirits by Xavier-Marie Bonnot translated by Justin Phipps (MacLehose Press, Quercus, Hachette UK).
- On the Wilder Shores of Love: A Bohemian Life by Lesley Blanch (Virago, Little Brown, Hachette UK);
- Far to Go and Many to Love: People and Places by Lesley Blanch (Quartet Books);
- Thinking Inside the Box by Louis Saha (Vision Sports);
- Le Moine aux yeux verts (The Green-eyed Lama) by Oyungerel Tsedevdamba & Jeffrey L. Falt (Grasset, Paris).
Translations Editing & Consultancy
- Worked as Translations Editor alongside Claude Lanzmann over the summer of 2014 as he read through his memoir The Patagonian Hare (Gallimard, Paris & Atlantic UK).
- Reading for accuracy the French translation of The Chimp Paradox by Professor Steve Peters against the English original (Vermilion, Penguin Random House Group).
Translations Editor & Agent
- XCiTés: The Flamingo Book of New French Writing (Flamingo, Harpercollins, 1999).
BBC Radio 4 Front Row | Francine Stock interviews Georgia de Chamberet | 5 July 1999
The A to Z of Literary Translation by G de Chamberet (Words without Borders, 2008)